Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Valentine's Helper (and Recipe!)


I made some Valentine's shortbread cookies and I had a wonderful helper by my side...the one and only Miss Taylor Joy.

First, we had to put on our aprons...she was insistent on that. I didn't mind since mine is pink! Just like my mixer and Taylor Joy's! Sweet Erin Whitley brought over a matching pink mixer for Taylor Joy. She adores it!

After we made the dough (it was pink, by the way) I thought Taylor might have fun holding it and shaping it like playdoh so she sat down in her seat, smooshed it once and then shoved the whole thing in her mouth! So much for that! Then she started saying, "More playdohs, more playdohs!" I couldn't help but laugh.

Anyhow, they turned out nicely and they taste good too! Here's the recipe. It's super easy!


Valentine Shortbread Hearts

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon red food color
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup white chocolate chips
1 teaspoon shortening
Sprinkles/icing for deco if desired

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Beat butter, powdered sugar, almond extract and food color in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in flour and almonds.

2. Press dough into heart shapes, about 1/4 inch thick.

3. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until edges just begin to brown. Cool on cookie sheet 25 minutes; carefully remove from cookie sheet to serving platter.

4. Place baking chips and shortening in microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on Medium-High (70%) about 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until chips can be stirred smooth. Drizzle over shortbread.

5. Use sprinkles if you want and then I used some icing to write names on them and things like, "Be Mine", "I Love You", etc.

1 comment:

  1. Your hearts are so cute! I love that Taylor Joy likes her mixer!

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...