Wednesday, January 07, 2009
Crafting with Appliques
Thanks to my friend Candice Sutterfield, these have been so much fun lately! I've made onesies, linen towels and the birthday banner that I posted from Beckett's party, all using appliques. Since several people have asked me how to make these, I will attempt to impart my limited knowledge here and divert you to others who are experts.
1. First, pick out some cute fabric at the store. Buy some Wonder-Under as well.
2. Read the directions on Wonder-Under and follow them by ironing the fabric to it.
3. Draw the shape/letter that you want to cut out on the Wonder-Under (with fabric on the other side) and cut it out.
4. Wonder-Under side down, iron it to the desired surface (burp rag, onesie, dish towel).
5. Then, follow these instructions to do a blanket stitch around the cutout with embroidery thread. OR you can use your sewing machine on a really tight zig-zag stitch around it. I seem to prefer the look of the embroidery thread. It just screams Anthropolgie to me and I happen to LOVE that store.
I taught this at my MOPS group and it was a great craft for sitting around and chatting while doing something productive. I hope all this makes sense and I want to see pictures if you make something cute with these instructions!